2023-01-12 Steering Committee Meeting Minutes

Susan Paterson (Chair)
Corinne Chatnik (Vice-Chair)|
Allison Fischbach (Secretary)
Amanda Greenwood (Education Coordinator) 

Mara Friedman (Student Member)

Agenda items:

General Announcements

SAA Awards and Nominations:
“The Society of American Archivists annually recognizes leaders and achievers in the field of archives. SAA offers a variety of professional recognitions and financial assistance through an awards competition, student scholarships, and the naming of Fellows. The deadline for submitting a nomination or application is February 28.”

New Business

  • Action Item: Allison will review Google Drive and document permissions
  • How can the steering committee elicit feedback from WAS members?
    • Draft an end-of-year survey for WAS to get feedback from events/blog posts/etc. and to jump-start the next year.
    • Instructional content is popular on Twitter, WAS could focus on posting more.
  • The committee has gotten no contact from Mara regarding absences from meetings. Motion to remove from the committee confirmed.

Continuing Business


  • Updates on Daniela’s post?
    • This post is ready to go. Action Item: Amanda will review before posting at the end of January.
  • Susan’s coffee chat write-up has been posted and tweeted.
  • Action Item: Amanda will reach out to Danielle Russano-Simpkins about writing for the blog.
  • Amanda is in contact with Singapore Archives for a potential blog post.
  • Action Item: Corinne will reach out to contact at the NY State archives for a blog post or coffee chat.
  • Action Item: Amanda will contact contributors to the Past Web for blog posts and/or attendance at a coffee chat.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/WebArch_RT 

  • No word from SAA on moving away from Twitter.
  • Action Item: Corinne will post about Amanda’s book review for #WebarchivingWednesdays

Coffee Chats: 2022-2023 Coffee Chat Ideas

  • Any Julien Masanes updates? 
    • Amanda has not heard back yet, but will try again.
  • Collaboration with Description Group, maybe Caitlin Birch Caitlin Birch (@preserCAITion) / Twitter (BPE Presentation Description)
    • Amanda contacted Caitlin for a January blog post
  • Proposed last meeting: Holding a WAS-hosted informal, spring coffee chat panel on web archiving projects and careers.
    • Panel for March about web archiving work and projects (Allison is willing to be part.)
    • Action Item: Write up a proposal to send to potential panel participants. Allison will start the document and share by next week.
    • Action Item: Amanda will email Melissa Wertheimer for contacts at NARA/Federal Gov.
    • Action Item: Susan will email contacts in Canadian government archives. 

Annual Meeting Planning

  • Annual meeting collaboration with Ellen Engseth (SAA International Archival Affairs) and Kim Hoffman (SAA Preservation Section) re: preserving Ukrainian web content/SUCHO
    • Updates from Corinne with any details from SUCHO, Ellen, or Kim
    • Action Item: Susan will contact Ellen and Kim, and cc all steering committee members to set up a meeting

Adjourned: 10:55a PST/1:55p EST