SNAP Steering Committee Meeting Minutes - 2019/01/29

SNAP Steering Committee 2018-2019

Meeting 4: Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Time: 6 PM PT / 8 PM CT/ 9 PM ET

Attending: Elena Colon-Marrero, Gayle Schechter, Brenna Edwards, Maggie Hoffman, Eve Bourbeau-Allard, Laura Bell, Virginia Seymour, Tiffany Cole, Kara Flynn, Isaac Fellman

Absent: Molly Brown, Joe Schill, Heidi Charles

  1. Chair - Elena

    1. Junior Social Media Coordinator Update:
      1. Kia had to step down due to personal reasons. A call went out. Respond to Elena with your preference ASAP!
    2. BlogERS Update
      1. Call for contributions will go out on 2/7 from BlogERS. Then we can use their wording for our own blog post/announcement
    3. Human Rights Archives Section Partnership
      1. We are co-hosting a Rights and Records Webinar Series with HRA. First meeting for more details will take place this coming week (31st). First in a series of webinars, hosted by HRA Section
      2. More details will be shared at future meetings and /or through emails if needing immediate feedback/comments
  2. Vice Chair/Chair-Elect - Gayle
    1. Unpaid Internship Updates
      1. Spreadsheet with school’s requirements. Other parameters to be comparing? What are thoughts about what to do about this data? Long form blog post, etc? Feel free to fill out if you have time!
      2. Goal is to keep conversation going and on people’s minds
  3. Blog Team - Isaac, Joe, Laura
    1. New blog features:
      1. Standard interview questionnaire, starting with SNAP then moving out to other new professionals, help get to know who we are and what SNAP is about (monthly feature)
        1. Elena will be the first one
        2. Schedule will be sent out for the rest of the committee members can sign up
      2. Doing roundtables (Laura) - create more content without relying on one person writing, through email exchanges; topics: job search, advocating for interns. Lots already brainstormed, list of topics will be posted and people can sign up to talk about them
      3. Anonymous posts? Posts would be vetted, but would allow for people to post about being new and not being afraid to talk honestly about imposter syndrome and such. How do people feel about this? General consensus at meeting: sounds like a good plan, with vetting and making sure appropriate without too much censoring
      4. Year in the Life could be Day in the Life to help cut down on the stress of one person writing everything
    2. Chair Question: Can we update the website with current members and new bios. Elena will send out email and respond to all to have bios in a chain for Isaac to update the website
  4. Social Media - Tiffany
    1. #snaprt chat debrief - January 2019 resolutions. Went well! Moderated from both accounts (SNAP and personal), experimenting to see if will continue in the future
    2. February #snaprt chats
      1. Will see what happens with Junior Social Media Coordinator position and coordinate with that person
      2. Ideas being tossed around: Certified Archivist? Professional development (student and new professional)? Barriers to entry into profession? Hidden labor in the archives?
      3. Early February 7th or 12th: talking with Jess Farrell (Educopia), co-hosting chat on gaps between LIS and tech skills, especially digital forensics - announcements coming later this week/early next week
      4. Mentorship chat: Went okay and the mentorship committee was happy with it!
  5. Student Chapter Coordinator - Virginia
    1. Welcome back email drafted for student chapter leaders to be sent on Monday
    2. Minor help request: call for blog posts in this email so they know there are opportunities for them; let Virginia know about any opportunities you have for the student leaders and their members
    3. Plans to email them once a month, so be sure to keep this up! Including plans for Annual Meeting and such as they start to fall into place
    4. UT-Austin and Annual Meeting
      1. Willing to help out in terms of accommodations/meet other student chapter groups/etc. How help pitch this to the leaders?
  6. Web Liaison - Eve
    1. Resource Guide for New Members with Membership Committee
      1. Outline draft in two sections. 
        1. SAA Structure - Council, etc. Who they are, how to get involved, what are the activities, how to get involved
        2. Resources: How to use SAA Connect, Mentorship, etc
      2. Once feedback from various groups, will expand upon items in the different sections above
  7. Additional updates?
    1. Next meeting Doodle Poll will hopefully be sent out by the end of this week, aiming for mid-month
    2. As always, use Discord or listserv to chat if something comes up!
Referenced Group Meeting: