Steering Committee Meeting, March 17, 2023

Minutes of March 17, 2023, Steering Committee Meeting


In attendance: Colin Post, Katja Hering, Bernadette Floresca, Susan Tucker


-The minutes of the February 17 meeting were approved. Susan then spoke of a conversation with Eric Stoykovich about the College and University Project. According to Eric, the NCAA Div 1 schools are on a sheet in a Google document under the heading "Examples, from NCAA div. 1".  It looks as one-half complete and does not (as yet) have a public-facing mechanism for completing the work. 


We discussed working with the College and University Section and the Archival Educators’ Section possibly in some sort of day of finding and submitting URLs, with some method of assigning certain colleges. Susan agreed to contact section heads to discuss.


We went over the survey again briefly and Colin reported on the work of his students.   


In New Business

            Susan noted that we would soon have Steering Committee elections and asked all to consider serving again and in helping prepare the call for nominations. As it now stands, our time on the Committee is only for one year, which doesn’t give long for learning the various tasks at hand. We discussed last year changing these to two-year terms but delayed this change in by-laws because of the upcoming survey on the health of sections. Look for that survey soon from SAA. 

            We discussed possibly speakers for our meeting on June 19. There was some thought we should go with interests mentioned in the survey responses: the history of preservation, for example, or in community archives, or women and people of color in archival history. Susan will call around to people in these areas. 

            Colin will prepare a Google folder with articles for reading for the award. 

            Susan will prepare a letter to membership for now and another for the end of April or May.

            Susan asked if the Committee would consider the need to have others join Natalie in editing newsletter. Bernadette mentioned that this had worked for her in other committee work. Susan will talk to Natalie and then report back.