Elsie Ham and F. Gerald Ham Scholarship
Purpose and Criteria for Selection:
In January 1998, SAA Fellow, past president, and long-time member F. Gerald Ham and his wife Elsie established the Elsie Ham and F. Gerald Ham Scholarship Fund. The purpose of the fund, endowed in 2008, is to provide financial support to graduate students in their second year of a two-year professional archival studies program.
Criteria for selection of the award recipients include the applicant’s past performance in her or his graduate program in archival studies as well as faculty members’ assessment of the student’s prospects for contributing to the archives profession. Selection will be made based on merit.
The scholarship funds must be used to support the graduate archival education of a second-year student who is studying at a United States university that meets the criteria for graduate education set forth by the Society of American Archivists' Guidelines for a Graduate Program in Archival Studies.
Application for the scholarship must be made in the final semester of the applicant’s first year of graduate study. The award supports graduate students in their second year of archival studies.
Applications must include the following documents:
- A cover letter stating interest in the scholarship and providing background on the applicant’s interests.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- An official transcript of the applicant’s grades since entering the graduate program.
- Three letters of recommendation, including at least one from an instructor in the applicant’s graduate program in archival studies.
- An attachment (no limit on length) that demonstrates the applicant’s ability to “think like an archivist.” The submission may include a summary of research conducted as a student, a seminar paper, a published article, or a project description. Finding aid submissions should be accompanied by an overview of the principles applied in creating the description.
- CLICK HERE to download the RTF application form.
Sponsor and Funding:
The Society of American Archivists Foundation.
The Ham Scholarship Subcommittee of the SAA Awards Committee is composed of three SAA Fellows and one of the co-chairs of the Awards Committee (ex officio). One member of the subcommittee shall be appointed each year by the SAA President-elect to serve a three-year term. The senior member of the subcommittee in years of service shall serve as its chair.
Up to two scholarships of $7,500 each.
All applications shall be submitted to SAA by February 28 of each year.
Elsie Ham and F. Gerald Ham Scholarship Recipients:
2008: Emiko Hastings (University of Michigan) and Becky Robbins (Simmons College)
2009: Andy (Jonathan) Uhrich (New York University)
2010: Venus E. Van Ness (State University of New York at Albany)
2011: Eric Willey (University of Wisconsin–Madison)
2012: Jarrett M. Drake (University of Michigan), Nathan Sowry (University of Wisconsin–Madison)
2013: Catherine L. Miller (Clayton State University)