Selected Copyright Resources
Best overall introduction to copyright:
- Peter B. Hirtle, Emily Hudson, and Andrew T. Kenyon, Copyright and Cultural Institutions: Guidelines for Digitization for U.S. Libraries, Archives and Museums. Ithaca, NY: Cornel University Library, 2009. (Available for purchase at the SAA Bookstore, Create Space, and other book retailers, or as a free download.
Best overall introductions to copyright for archivists:
- Menzi L. Behrnd-Klodt, Navigating Legal Issues in Archives, Society of American Archivists (2008)
- Kenneth D. Crews, "Unpublished Manuscripts and the Right of Fair Use: Copyright Law and the Strategic Management of Information Resources," Rare Books and Manuscripts Librarianship, 5:2 (1990)
- William J. Maher, "If Only We Could Reach the Shoals: Barriers to Archives Digitization," Columbia Journal of Law & the Arts (2010)
- Martha Minow & Peter B. Hirtle, LibraryLaw Blog
- Tim Padfield, Copyright for Archivists and Records Managers, 4th Ed., Facet Publishing (2010)
- Gary M. Peterson & Trudy Huskamp Peterson, Archives & Manuscripts: Law, Society of American Archivists, (1985)
On the Public Domain:
- Stephen Fishman, The Public Domain : How to Find and Use Copyright-Free Writings, Music, Art & More 5th Edition. Nolo Press, (2010)
- Peter B. Hirtle, Senior Policy Advisor, Cornell University Library , “Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the United States” (chart)
- Scanned renewal volumes of the Catalog of Copyright Entries.
- The Stanford database of searchable renewals.
On Fair Use
- Kenneth Crews, Director, Copyright Advisory Office, Columbia University Library, "Fair Use," including the fair use checklist.
- U.S. Copyright Office Fair Use Index. A searchable database of court opinions, including facets for category and type of use (e.g. music, internet/digitization, parody)
On Orphan Works
- Society of American Archivists, "Orphan Works: Statement of Best Practices" (2009)
On Section 108:
- Section 108 Study Group Report, (March 2008)
- Well-intentioned practice for putting digitized collections of unpublished materials online (2011)
- Laura Clark Brown, Judy Ruttenberg and Kevin L. Smith, “Triangle Research Libraries Network's Intellectual Property Rights Strategy for Digitization of Modern Manuscript Collections and Archival Record Groups” (2011)
- Research Library Issues 279: Special Issue on Special Collections and Archives in the Digital Age. June 2012
- Harry Ransom Center: The University of Texas at Austin, The WATCH File: Writers, Artists and their Copyright Holders
- Scott Burnham, "Copyright in Library-Held Materials: A Decision Tree for Librarians" Law Library Journal, 96:3 (2004)
SAA Workshops related to copyright