Pre-requisites: ARST 510, ARST 515, ARST 516, ARST 520
Goal: The goal of this course is to provide students with an historical foundation for understanding contemporary record-keeping practices.
- To provide an understanding of the purposes and methods of generating, maintaining, and preserving records in the context of different historical periods, traditions and juridical systems.
- To develop a critical appreciation of the factors influencing record-keeping practices in different societies at different times.
- The preservation of records as evidence and memory from antiquity to the present.
- Specific methods associated with creating, handling, and preserving records from antiquity to the present.
- The juridical and cultural factors influencing record keeping practices in different historical periods and in different juridical systems.
- Continuites and discontinuities in record- keeping practices associated with different historical periods and different juridical systems.
Relates to GPAS Component(s):