2022-1-23 Steering Committee Meeting Minutes

Attendees:

Melissa Wertheimer (Chair)
Susan Paterson (Vice-Chair)
Amanda Greenwood (Student Member)
Kiera Sullivan (Secretary)
Ryder Kouba (Education Coordinator)

Absent: Rosemary Grant (Marketing and Communications Manager) - Rosie was unable to attend the meeting but sent her updates via email beforehand

Agenda items:

News/Questions/Announcements

  • Melissa informed the group that Felicia Owens sent an email to SAA leaders on 1/20/2022. SAA is hosting a live forum session for SAA leaders. Their goal is to make sure every SAA group is involved with feedback on their Strategic Plan Dashboard.
  • They want at least 1 representative from every group to attend 1 live session. There are two sessions being offered. The sessions are 1/27/22 at 3 pm CENTRAL or 2/2/22 at 2pm CENTRAL.
  • Melissa, Susan, and Amanda would be able to attend 2/2/22. Susan would be able to attend 1/27/22.
  • Decision: Melissa will plan attend 2/2/22. Susan will attend if Melissa is unable to make it.
  • ACTION: Everyone to review the document and send Melissa their thoughts in a quick email by end of day Friday, 1/28/22. Melissa will compile and clarify if necessary.
  • Amanda - Is working as an NHPRC Grant project archivist for Union College!
  • Melissa passed her DAS exam yesterday!

Old/Continuing Business

  • Confirmed panel for a U.S. Federal Government Web Archiving Projects Coffee Chat! (Melissa)
  • Participants will include:

Lauren Baker and Meghan Lyon, Library of Congress; Dorothy Bower, Government Printing Office; Christie Moffatt, National Library of Medicine; Lynda Schmitz Fuhrig, Smithsonian Institution Archives

Melissa will moderate the coffee chat.

Melissa asked about potential dates for this event. The group discussed availability and agreed that March would be good.

  • ACTION: Melissa will set up a When 2 Meet poll to the steering committee members and participants.
  • Amanda asked for a description of what a coffee chat is, and Ryder described this event format, stating that it can be either structured or free-form/casual. It is like meeting up for coffee with colleagues to talk about a topic together. Melissa added that there is usually a guest speaker to introduce the topic or project.
  • Ryder asked if we are planning on an hour. Melissa confirmed 1 hour and shared that the participants know they will have about 5 minutes to introduce themselves and their institution/work, and then questions/conversations.
  • Susan asked for confirmation that the attendees do not need to be SAA members. Kiera confirmed.
  • ACTION: Susan will check to see if she can use her institutional Zoom account for this. If Susan’s does not work out, Ryder will also check with his institution.

Twitter update (Rosie)

  • Thank you Ryder and Susan for the social content! 
  • Unfortunately there's no good free tool for collecting monthly analytics. I could count impressions manually but between school and work this is out of my capacity at the moment. I figured I could use my work analytics account but that had an added cost to add an outside account (and I don't think my workplace would be happy if they saw an external account on it).
  • Ryder thinks there may be a way to view statistics through Twitter, but not sure if it is related to having a business account or not.
  • Melissa acknowledged that reporting engagement would be good for the annual report, but that we want to balance practicality. She suggested that Rosie keep a tally of how many times our account tweets original content per month. Melissa added that this would be a good justification to SAA Council to keep the Twitter account as it shows that we are actively using it.
  • Kiera and Susan agreed that a simple tally would be a good idea, and hopefully not too much added work.
  • Ryder suggested archiving the Twitter account every year - generate a WARC file for each year to document what happened in a given year.
  • Melissa noted that SAA may already be doing that, and wondered what their records schedule is for social media.

Blog update (Rosie)

  • Waiting to hear back from Ed Summers on the January blog post, will message when I hear further. 
  • Amanda to possibly do the February post (tentative) 
  • Annalisa Moretti (Harvard University Libraries) agreed to do an April post about reparative descriptions for disability collections related to web archiving
  • If anyone has additional people feel free to send an email connecting me to them and we can chat about a schedule for their post
  • Melissa to possibly do a post on what can user engagement for web archives look like? (potential re-post for IIPC)
  • All of this is up to date in the shared drive 
  • Ryder had a couple of ideas for possible blog contributors.
  • Ryder has reached out to Anchalee Panigabutra-Roberts (Ryder’s colleague from Cairo) - Metadata
  • Ryder has not yet reached out to Ian Milligan - User engagement
  • Susan offered to reach out to Ian Milligan. Ryder will send her some info to include in the email. She will suggest April 2022.
  • ACTION: Susan to reach out to Ian Milligan.

Microsite (Rosie)

  • Let me know when the minutes are ready from this next meeting and I'll post to the microsite. Thanks in advance! 
  • Melissa asked for any other thoughts on Rosie’s updates. No further discussion was needed aside from the discussions on the Twitter analytics and Ryder’s ideas for potential blog contributors (see above).

New Business

Melissa called for any new business or anything that we need to discuss further. The group had none.

Meeting adjourned at 11:42am PACIFIC.

Summary of action items:

 Everyone to review the Strategic Plan Dashboard document and send Melissa their thoughts in a quick email by end of day Friday, 1/28/22. Melissa will compile and clarify if necessary.

Melissa will set up a When 2 Meet poll to the steering committee members and participants for the coffee chat in March.

Susan will check to see if she can use her institutional Zoom account for the coffee chat in March (to be scheduled). If Susan’s does not work out, Ryder will also check with his institution.

Susan to reach out to Ian Milligan.

Ryder to send information to Susan to include in her message to Ian Milligan.