All course examinations are online, in multiple-choice format, and pass/fail. A passing grade is 85% in accordance with accepted graduate school grading scales.
After completing the exam, you'll receive immediate notification of your pass/fail status, as well as any questions you answered incorrectly.
Please be sure to print the page with your exam results for your records and record them on your tracking sheet. SAA will record your results internally but won't send out an email confirmation of your results.
Take an In-Person Course
- Upon verification of your attendance at an in-person course, SAA will send you a link to the exam (included in your course registration fee). You will have access to the exam for one week from the time the link is sent.
- Once you begin the exam, you will have one hour (one-day course) or two hours (two-day course) to complete it.
Test Out (Foundational tier only)—More knowledgeable students may choose to test out of a Foundational course.
- Within five business days of purchasing a challenge exam through the SAA Bookstore, SAA will send you a link to the exam. You will have access to the exam for one week from the time the link is sent.
- Once you begin the exam, you will have 30 minutes (webinar), one hour (one-day in-person course), or two hours (two-day in-person course) to complete it.
- No retakes are permitted for challenge exams. If you fail the challenge exam, you must attend the in-person or webinar course before retaking the exam. The challenge exam fee will not be refunded.
Watch a Webinar
- Within four weeks of the date you purchased access to a webinar, SAA will send you a link to the course exam. Access to the webinar and exam will expire two months from the webinar purchase date.
- Once you begin the exam, you will have 30 minutes to complete it.
Note: If other participants watch the webinar with you, please verify their attendance by filling out the A&D Webinar Roster form. Completed forms may be sent via email to education[at]archivists.org or via fax to 312.606.0728. SAA will send participants instructions for purchasing the specific A&D exam. Once an exam is purchased, SAA will send a link to the exam within five business days of purchase.
Retaking an Examination
- If you fail an exam, you may retake it (with the exception of challenge exams; see above) for free within two weeks. To do so, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
- If you fail an exam a second time, you may retake the exam (for a fee).
- If you fail an exam a third time, you must retake the course (at a reduced rate).